Texas Sensory Support Network (TxSSN): "Reading Connections" Book Study Online - 28697
Literacy is a key factor for student success in school and life. As teachers of students with visual impairments (TVIs), it is challenging to provide great instruction in braille, visual efficiency with optical devices or other assistive technology, and teach using best practices in reading and writing in partnership with general education teachers. Through this study of "Reading Connections: Strategies for Teaching Students with Visual Impairments" by Kamei-Hannan and Ricci, participants will review components of reading instruction and best practices for teaching these components to students who read braille or large print. Discussion and application activities will take place via Canvas, a platform for online learning from October 1 - December 13, 2021. A copy of the book will be provided to TVIs serving students with visual impairments in a Texas LEA.
Teacher - Special Education,
Must be a teacher of students with visual impairments (TVI) in Texas. The course includes the completion of artifacts. Participants will be expected to implement strategies from the book with students on their caseload.
Seats Left 6
Registration Deadline 10/29/2021 12:00 am
Credit Type Continuing Professional Education
T-PESS 1A,1B,1C & 1D,2C
Stephanie Walker ESC Region 11
This session is closed for registrations.
Offered Again On
- 10/1/2021 8:00 am
- 2022 Texas Transition Fair for Students Who Are Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing
- Cohort for New Teachers of Students with Complex Access Needs
- Exploring Positive Outcome Strategies for Improving Classroom Behavior
- Let's Go to Work! Part 1: Your Money, Benefits and Work (English) - Virtual
- ONLINE: Don't We Already Do Inclusion?: 100 Ideas for Improving Inclusive Schools (BOOK STUDY) - Virtual
- Standards-Based Individualized Education Program (IEP) Process Training
- The Road to UDL
- TX CAN Online Course Discussion Group: Building an Authentic Academic Response - Virtual
- VB-MAPP (Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program) - Web-Based Training
- Vicarious Trauma and Deaf Education