Statewide Speech Language Pathology Webinar #6 -- Reveal Their Story: A Strength-based Approach to Autism Assessments for Speech Language Pathologists - 32473
School-based speech and language pathologists increasingly face the challenge of recognizing the full range of autism spectrum differences and engaging students in productive diagnostic interviews. Participants in this workshop will learn to engage children and adolescents in sensory-based interviews using a diagnostic interview system to obtain meaningful and distinctive qualitative communication samples to better identify the autism spectrum language profile. This session will highlight the use of a visual framework and strength-based descriptive language to individualize the diagnosis of autism spectrum differences across age and ability levels in the school setting. Integrating the use of this qualitative set of protocols with autism-specific standardized communication measures will be discussed, along with outlining how a strength-based process aligns with the IDEA special education eligibility guidelines for Autism Spectrum Disorder. Topics include gaining proficiency in structuring the sensory-based diagnostic interview using the Descriptive Triangle positive language, defining the role of the SLP on multidisciplinary autism assessment teams, differential diagnosis considerations, and discussing the diagnosis with parents. Webinar Link will be sent out a few days in advance of the meeting. This is a live webinar, not a recording.
Fee Please log in to see fees.
Seats Left 82
Registration Deadline 2/9/2024 12:00 am
Credit Type TX Speech & Hearing Assoc. - Approved
Laura Lewis, M.S., CCC/SLP ESC Region 11
Offered Again On
- 2/9/2024 9:00 am
- Active Learning: An Overview for Professionals Serving Students who are Blind, Visually Impaired, and DeafBlind
- Integrating the Cottage Acquisition Scales for Listening, Language, and Speech into Classroom and Therapy Settings: The Basics of Using the CASLLS - Virtual
- New to Public Schools SLP Lunch and Learn - Virtual
- SI Legal and Ethical Updates
- Speech-Language Pathology Leadership Collaborative 2023-2024
- Standards-Based Individualized Education Program (IEP) Process: Training for Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs)
- Statewide Speech Language Pathology Webinar #7 -- The Dynamic Role of Speech-Language Pathologists in Fostering Communicative Success in the Post-Secondary Transition Setting
- Statewide Speech Language Pathology Webinar #9 -- Gestalt Language Processing: What Is It?
- Statewide Speech-Language Pathology Webinar #4: -- Helping Teens and Young Adults on the Autism Spectrum with Social and Communication Skills: Insights and Resources
- Visual Phonics: See the Sound - Virtual